Saying goodbye to an old friend...

It’s something no horse owner wants to think about. Although horses have a life expectancy of twenty-five to thirty years, we are never ready to say goodbye to our old friends. Unpleasant as the prospect is, having a plan and knowing what to expect can save both you and your horse unnecessary suffering.
I am writing this more for me than anything else. Tomorrow, my friend, Seymour,  is moving on to greener pastures. 






















A bit of back round... Seymour is a registered European Trakehner.The Trakehner of today is a large horse, standing generally between 16 and 17 hands. The breed is characterized by great substance and bone, yet displays surprising refinement, perhaps more so than any other European warmblood breed. It is a superb performance horse with natural elegance and balance. It excels in dressage because of its elegant way of moving - the light, springy, "floating trot," and soft, balanced canter, made possible by a deep sloping shoulder and a correct, moderately long back and pasterns. With its characteristic, powerful hindquarters and strong joints and muscles, the breed also produces outstanding jumpers. However, perhaps the most outstanding attribute of the Trakehner is its temperament. It is keen, alert and intelligent, yet very stable and accepting and anxious to please.


When I adopted him from Plasvac, our local blood donating facility he was 25 years old. For the past 18 months he has been living with Bambi, my daughters Walkaloosa. He was sound, easy going and happy to go anywhere. We rode on the beach, down the river and all over Creston. He loved to go and was the best horse to trailer I have had so far...In his life before me he was a hunter/jumper.  He is smooth to ride and was always so willing to try anything. Not so much anymore. He is 4/5 lame on both back legs and has ring bone on his left front that is growing at an amazing rate. It is quite painful for him. But the worst is his vision...He has had two ulcerated cornea's in the last 60 days. He spooks so easily because of his loss of sight that he whacks his head daily. 


For me it is about quality of life...and his is going down hill so quickly. It is important to me that his dignity is in place and that the pain he is in stops. 
I am so lucky to have had the opportunity to have this magnificent animal in my life. He has taught me so much, especially patience with the elderly. 




No rushing he would say, take the time it takes...I'll be right here when you figure it out. 






                                      
                            I love you Seymour...Rest in Peace.
                                    

2 comments:

  1. sorry to hear about this...even though it is so sad...you did the right thing for him...he is at peace and running in green pastures !

    sending love and sympathy, my friend

    me
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh.....sweet Seymour! I agree with Farmhouse, I know he is frolicking in the green grasses and flowers! Heart aches

    ReplyDelete